Pick of the Pics - August, 2011

It is already August and Pick of the Pics is back. That means 10 of our favorite pictures from past and current photographers are selected by the summer photo editor Mary Kang.

May-Ying Lam | The Daily Texan

Ayan Ali, 15, watches prayers from the side of the Crockett Center with her sister, Nimo Ali, 13, at the Eid al-Adha communal prayer organized by the North Austin Muslim Community Center, Renaissance Academy and Masjid Ibrahim.  The two attended the event with their parents to which an estimated 5,000 showed up. (Sept. 12, 2008)

Jeffrey McWhorter | Daily Texan Staff

CPS Commissioner testifies before a house committee about the agency's response to allegations of abuse in the YFZ FLDS compound last year. (April 15, 2009)

Sara Young | Daily Texan Staff

Oscar Paiz, Barton Springs Nursery employee of three years, removes weeds from the nursery’s agave farm in Weberville, Texas. The nursery has seen an increased demand for vegetable plants and fruit trees during the economic downturn. (Nov. 25, 2009)

Jessica Talley | Daily Texan Staff

Spencer Bell, 5, observes the rainy weather through Urban Outfitters window on Guadalupe. (April 21, 2006)

Jeremy Balkin | Daily Texan Staff

Avery Griffin takes a nap on steps on the corner of Eighth and San Antonio streets near the Austin Public Library downtown. (Oct. 27, 2006)

Marc Hamel | Daily Texan Staff

Doug Moreland works on a custom wood sculpture at the Star of Texas Fair & Rodeo in Austin. Moreland and his co-workers at Cattlelacs in Manchaca use mainly chainsaws with small blades to carve works such as this eagle. (March 23, 2006)

Megan Peyton | Daily Texan Staff

Michael Foulk, member of the Austin band Widows and Orphans, enjoys a drink and a cigarette while reading a book at Spider House Cafe. Foulk was killing time before picking up a friend from work and said he “was just trying not to fall asleep.” (July 12, 2007)

Peter Franklin | Daily Texan Staff

Events surrounding the Lonestar Rod and Kustom Round Up brought thousands of people to South Congress Avenue in early 2010.  Marathons, parades and conventions attract visitors from around the country to Austin, helping to strengthen the local economy. (May 12, 2010)

Rene Huynh | Daily Texan Staff

Sociology senior D’wayne Bell marvels at the amount of snow falling in Austin, which has been previously known to only produce barely-there flurries. (February 24, 2010)

Danielle Villasana | Daily Texan Staff

Danielle Harris, 10, and Ethan Estrada, 2, play on the playground at Chestnut Community park, which offers fountains, a playscape and a covered picnic area. (August 5, 2010)