Hartzell appointed as new dean of McCombs School of Business

The University announced Thursday that Jay Hartzell has been appointed as the new dean of the McCombs School of Business.

Currently a senior associate dean for academic affairs at McCombs, Hartzell will begin serving as dean on Feb. 1, holding the Centennial Chair in Business Education Leadership. Hartzell is currently the Trammell Crow Regents Professor in the Department of Finance and served as executive director of the McCombs School’s Real Estate Finance and Investment Center in 2007.

“Jay is an outstanding scholar and engaged member of UT's community,” UT President Gregory L. Fenves said in an email to the University. “I am enthusiastic about his leadership as McCombs continues to lead the innovation of business education and research.”

Hartzell also served as chair of the Department of Finance from 2011 to 2014.

As chair, he created the one-year Master of Science in Finance degree and also started the Undergraduate Real Estate Certificate Program.

According to Fenves, the program is “an excellent example of the interdisciplinary collaboration that [he] would like to increase across campus.”

“It is an enormous honor to be selected as the next dean of the McCombs School,” Hartzell said in a press release. “[The McCombs School] will continue to find new ways to expand and capitalize on our many strengths, including top faculty, outstanding students, talented staff, great industry partners, and a passionate alumni base.”

A UT alumnus who earned his Ph.D. in finance at UT-Austin in 1998, Hartzell has twice been recognized as an Outstanding Core Instructor by students. His research focuses primarily on real estate finance, corporate finance and corporate governance.

Red McCombs, the business school’s namesake, called the announcement “a great day for the University of Texas family” in a press release.

“Jay has worked tirelessly to see that business students at Texas are prepared for leadership challenges facing our state, our nation and the world,” McCombs said. “I congratulate President Fenves on a wise appointment.”

Hartzell replaces interim dean Laura Starks, who has served as dean ever since former dean Tom Gilligan stepped down from the position after the spring semester.