Fenves announces plan to increase tuition

UT President Gregory Fenves announced Monday plans to increase tuition by around 3 percent over the next two school years.

In the plan Fenves announced to the UT System, he recommended a 3.1 percent increase in 2016–17 and an additional 3 percent increase on 2017–2018. Fenves also included an additional $5 per semester to replace the Green Fee, a $5 fee from student tuition for environmental projects and research at Texas universities. The Green Fee is expected to be cut next summer.

If the UT System and Board of Regents approve this plan, it will cost Texas residents $152 more for tuition in 2016–2017 and an additional $152 from 2017–2018.

Fenves said in a University-wide email that the University is trying to reduce costs where they can and increase financial aid.

"I want you to know that I do not take lightly the issue of raising tuition," Fenves said in his email. "Families are counting their dollars and expect us to keep UT affordable and accessible to students from all backgrounds.”

In October, the Board of Regents approved a plan for proposed tuition increases starting at 2 percent. The Tuition Policy Advisory Committee made recommendations to Fenves on Dec. 3, proposing a tuition increase of 3 percent for undergraduate and graduate students.