Helicopter crash kills 4 at Fort Hood

A UH-60A Black Hawk helicopter carrying four crew members crashed Monday night in the northern part of Fort Hood during a routine drill. Emergency crews announced after a search that four crew members were found dead.

“It is with a heavy heart that I announce the death of four First Army Division West Soldiers as a result of a UH-60A helicopter crash that happened Monday evening,” Maj. Gen. Jeffrey N. Colt, commanding general, First Army Division West, said in a statement. “The accident is under investigation and the names of the deceased will be released after the families have been notified. ”   

Soon after the incident, Gov. Greg Abbott released a statement about the plane crash.

“[First Lady Cecilia Abbott] and I extend our sincerest condolences to the families of the four soldiers who tragically lost their lives in preparation for defending our country,” Abbott said in the statement. “Whether at home or abroad, our soldiers put their lives on the line every day to secure the freedoms we hold dear in Texas and the United States of America. Our thoughts and prayers are with their families and with the military community at Fort Hood during this difficult time.”

Fort Hood, a military base located in Killeen, Texas, is one of the Army’s largest bases, with a population of about 218,000 personal including their spouses and children.