Advisory Council addresses tuition increase

Since the UT System announced a proposed two percent tuition increase over the next two years, the Tuition Policy Advisory Council at UT-Austin disclosed in a University-wide email the plan it is considering and announced dates of public forums.  

According to the email, the council is considering recommending a three percent tuition increase, an average increase of $150 per semester for undergraduate students. 

“UT is committed to maintaining the quality of the educational experience our students deserve and works hard to minimize the financial burden students and their families assume,” Judith Langois and Mary Knight, co-chairs of the council, said in the email. “Keeping the University of Texas at Austin affordable and accessible for students of all backgrounds is a top priority.”

A website has been created for students to express their comments and concerns while learning about what this tuition increase will go toward funding. Forums will be held on Dec. 2 in the Main Building, room 212 from 5 to 7 p.m. and the following day on Dec. 3 from 10 a.m. to noon in the same room. 

Joey Williams, interim communication director in the office of the Provost, said these days give more people an ability to attend and offer options for those with fixed working schedules.