UT approves independent review of athletics department

UT and Gene Marsh, a national expert on collegiate athletics and academic integrity, reached an agreement to review the Texas Athletics’ Student Services Division on Wednesday, according to a University press release.

UT System Officials and the state Attorney General’s office approved the review that began June 15, and it will look at issues such as academic guidance for student athletes, advising, tutoring and ways to interact with faculty members. 

President Gregory Fenves hopes Jackson Lewis PC, the company conducting the review under Marsh's counsel, will complete the review by the end of 2015, but the contract states the review will go on as long as it is needed.     

The review process will cost the University $200,000, but could be more expensive once Marsh delves into the records. According to the press release, Marsh will also look at specific allegations regarding several student-athlete interactions.  

The Houston Chronicle reported June 10 that an investigation was being launched on the men’s basketball program because of players cheating on tests and receiving improper assistance on homework assignments. The report stated three incidences since 2006 by the Chronicle of Higher Education. Players mentioned in the report included P.J. Tucker, J’Covan Brown and Martez Walker, according to the Houston Chronicle.

Soon afterward, Fenves ordered an independent review of all programs within the athletics department.