Police are investigating two separate shooting incidents in Austin

The Austin Police Department is investigating two separate shootings, one at the Omni Austin Hotel Downtown and the other in North Austin, which occurred early Sunday morning, according to the Austin American-Statesman. 

Assistant police chief Brian Manley told the Statesman a gunman — in what appeared to be a random attack — killed a person at the hotel before police killed the gunman. Manley described the gunman as a white male in his 30s. 

Manley said the police received a call around 4:50 a.m. Sunday about a man in the lobby with a gun. The 911 call taker heard crying and yelling in the background and said the man just shot someone. When officers arrived a few minutes later and confronted the gunman, who was carrying a rifle. The man ran into the hotel and officers chased him before exchanging gunfire near the hotel restaurant, Manley said.

A five-year veteran with the police killed the gunman and officers found a second body whom they think was killed by the gunman.  Manley said the officer involved in the shooting has been placed on administrative leave, as is customary in police shootings.   

About an hour earlier, police responded to a call along the 10600 block of Golden Quail Drive, near Kramer Lane. The 911 dispatcher described the caller as being distraught and indicating he may have been suicidal, Manley said.

Officers found the man at his home around 4:10 a.m. with a gun in his waistband.  Manley said the white male in his 20s would not respond to the police’s request to disarm.  They tried to subdue the man with a stun gun, but he retreated back into his house. 

Manley said that, when the man came back out, officers shot and killed the man after police reported he was reaching for his weapon.