Regents debut new online learning tools

The UT System Board of Regents unveiled a searchable research database and a mobile-based learning program at their meeting Thursday.

The research database, called Influuent, collects and hosts all research done in the UT System. It allows users to search for research based on keywords, and searches can be refined by both content and institution. Researchers will also have their own personal pages displaying all research or intellectual property attributed to them.

"It really opens your mind to the teams you can form and what's possible," said Dr. Stephanie Bond Huie, vice chancellor for Strategic Initiatives, who presented Influuent to the board.

Along with Influuent, the board also demonstrated the System's new Total Education Experience, or TEx. TEx is a fully personizable learning program that allows students to track their degree progress in real time and speed up or slow down their progress as necessary. The program also assigns an academic coach for each student, and the mobile app lets students communicate with their coach or professor with the touch of a button.

Dr. Steven Mintz, executive director of the Institute for Transformational Learning, said the quality of TEx sets it apart from other similar educational programs.

"This has been designed by our faculty to ensure student success," Mintz said.