Carly Fiorina announces presidential bid

Former Hewlett-Packard CEO and John McCain advisor Carly Fiorina announced her presidential bid on Good Morning America on Monday morning.

Fiorina is most well known for her tenure at HP from 1999 to 2005, during which she merged the company with Compaq and laid off 30,000 employees. Fiorina unsuccessful run for the California Senate seat in 2010. She has never been an elected public official.

She is the first female Republican to declare candidacy. She cited her business experience as one of her strongest traits as a presidential candidate.

“I think I’m the best person for the job because I understand how the economy actually works,” Fiorina said on Good Morning America. “I understand executive decision-making, which is making a tough call in a tough time with high stakes.”

Though her time at HP was controversial, she said she believes it is an example of crucial business experience that is necessary for a president.

Fiorina, as the only Republican woman in the race, is one of the few women who have ever sought a presidential nomination from the GOP. 

Fiorina is the sixth candidate to enter the race, after Sen. Ted Cruz (R-TX), Sen. Rand Paul (R-KY), former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, Sen. Marco Rubio (R-FL) and Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-VT), who announced his candidacy last Thursday and is running as Democratic challenger against Clinton.