Andrew Hamilton, reported as finalist to replace Powers, will be NYU's next president

Andrew Hamilton, vice chancellor at the University of Oxford, will be New York University's next president. Hamilton was widely reported as the front-runner to replace President William Powers Jr. in the search for UT's next president.

Oxford University vice chancellor Andrew Hamilton has been selected as New York University's next president, NYU administrators announced Wednesday.

Hamilton, whom many considered to be the front-runner for the UT presidency, will succeed NYU president John Sexton in January 2016. Hamilton was interviewed by the UT System Board of Regents and met with a small search committee earlier this month.

“I am delighted to be selected as NYU’s 16th president,” Hamilton said in a statement. “I am looking forward with great eagerness to working with NYU’s faculty, students, administrators, and staff, and to joining a university that is so manifestly energetic, innovative, and successful.”

Greg Fenves, executive vice president and provost of the University, and David Daniel, president of UT-Dallas, are the remaining finalists in the search for the UT president, according sources directly involved with the search committee.

Before joining Oxford in 2009, Hamilton worked as an assistant professor of chemistry at Princeton University, and then as a department chair and professor of chemistry at the University of Pittsburgh. He also served as provost of Yale University from 2004 until 2008.

To read more about the presidential search process, click here.