Maly files complaint against Jones-Dargahi, alleging failure to declare campaign workers

With less than a day left in the Student Government runoff election, defeated presidential candidate David Maly filed a complaint against Braydon Jones and Kimia Dargahi, alleging they failed to declare one of their campaign workers to the Election Supervisory Board.

Tanner Long, who was re-elected as Liberal Arts Representative last week, sent an email to newly elected Assembly members Saturday and urged them to vote for Jones and Dargahi in the Executive Alliance runoff election. Maly said he believes Long’s action is tantamount to acting as an official campaign worker, although Long was never registered as such.

In the complaint, Maly said failing to list Long as a worker was a clear violation of the Election Code.

“The email indicates a clear and obvious coordinated connection between Long and the Jones campaign, as Long issued a formal invitation to a campaign-specific function on behalf of the candidates,” Maly said.

Long, a government senior, told The Daily Texan that he asked the SG Judicial Court whether newly elected representatives could endorse Executive Alliance candidates before he sent the email. The court told him endorsements were allowed, as long as he made it clear he did not speak on behalf of SG.

Long said he sent the email on his own accord and said he is not a campaign worker for Jones-Dargahi.   

“I wasn’t endorsing them on behalf of Student Government,” Long said. “I think that might have been misunderstood. It was an individual endorsement, [but] it was an unintentional consequence of it.”

The board will conduct a hearing at 10 a.m. Thursday to resolve the complaint. Voting for Executive Alliance runoffs continues Thursday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Results will be announced at approximately 6 p.m. on the Main Mall.

Maly is simultaneously pursuing a complaint against Xavier Rotnofsky and Rohit Mandalapu, the other candidates in the runoff election. To read more about his second allegation of wrongdoing, click here.

For a full recap of platform points, candidate descriptions and Texan coverage of the Jones-Dargahi campaign, click here.