OU fraternity members appear to sing racist chant, reference lynching in viral video

In a video that went viral Sunday evening, members of the University of Oklahoma’s Sigma Alpha Epsilon fraternity were caught on camera chanting anti-black racial slurs.

In the 10-second video, members are seen and heard singing “There will never be a n****r SAE,” and “You can hang them from a tree, but they'll never sign with me.”

Within hours of the video surfacing, the fraternity’s national organization closed the chapter and suspended all members, according to a press release from Brandon Weghorst, associate executive director of communication for SAE.

“Those members who are responsible for the incident may have their membership privileges revoked permanently,” Weghorst said.

Brad Cohen, the fraternity’s national president, condemned the video on Twitter.

“I know I speak for all when I say I’m disgusted and shocked by the video involving our [SAE] chapter at Uof OK,” he wrote. “They will be dealt with.”

University officials said they are investigating the video to verify that OU students are involved, according to University president David Boren.

“If OU students are involved, this behavior will not be tolerated and will be addressed very quickly,” Boren said in a statement. “This behavior is contrary to all of our values.”

The OU chapter of SAE is one of many fraternities that have been accused of racial insensitivity. Last month, Texas Fiji hosted a party guests said had a “border patrol” theme, where attendees wore construction gear, ponchos and sombreros. The Office of the Dean of Students launched an investigation into the event but found the party did not violate any University rules and would not result in any penalty for the fraternity, primarily because the party was held off campus. 

Last year, SAE chapters nation-wide announced they would eliminate pledging entirely. The national fraternity replaced pledgeship with a program called the "True Gentlemen Experience" with the goal of improving the educational and leadership experience of its members. Read more about the switch here.

The video of SAE members chanting is below. Warning: The clip contains graphic language and racial slurs.

For updates on this story, go to oudaily.com or follow The Oklahoma Daily on Twitter.

Have a news tip for The Daily Texan? Email us at news@dailytexanonline.com.