UT cancels regent's open records request

A UT-Austin official informed the UT System that Regent Wallace Hall’s impending open records requests have been canceled, according to the Texas Tribune

In a letter obtained by the Texas Tribune to UT System Interim Vice Chancellor and General Counsel Dan Sharphorn, UT Chief Financial Officer and Custodian of Records Kevin Hegarty explained that the request had been canceled in cooperation with the House Select Committee on Transparency in State Agency Operations investigation of Hall. Committee Co-Chairs Dan Flynn, R-Canton, and Carol Alvarado, D-Houston, sent a letter to Gene Powell, chairman of the board of regents, requesting that all documents relating to Hall be preserved for the investigation.

“All or part of these files could relate to the investigation to be undertaken by the Committee of Regent Hall and therefore it is necessary to preserve all remaining records in their fully intact and unaltered form,” Hegarty wrote in the letter.

Hegarty said all other open records requests would be carried out by the University.

As part of its investigation into Hall, the House Transparency Committee could begin hearing witness testimony in August or September. Flynn stated at the committee’s July 29 meeting that Hall would likely be one of the first witnesses called to testify.

Follow Jacob Kerr on Twitter @jacobrkerr.