Greg Abbott announces plans to run for Texas governor

Attorney General Greg Abbott pauses for applause at the pro-choice rally on the south steps of the Texas capitol on July 8, 2013. Abbott officially won the Republican gubernatorial primary on March 4 and will face off against state Sen. Wendy Davis, D-Fort Worth.

Texas Attorney General Greg Abbott announced his campaign for governor in San Antonio today.

"I'm asking the people of Texas to elect me as your next governor," Abbott said to the crowd. He was meant with appluase.

Abbott pleadged to focus on small businesses, reduce goverment spending and secure the border. He also said he would encourage children to go to college.

"We have 21st century economy...now we need education system to match it," Abbott said. "Higher education must be a priority...together we can make sky-rocketed tuition a thing of the past."

Abbott, who has served as the attorney general since 2002, has reportedly raised more than $20 million for this campaign so far. He has sued the Obama administration 30 times and has made headlines for his stances on redistricting, voter ID laws and the affordable care act.

“We always takes on the tough fights, and that’s what I’ve been doing as your attorney general,” Abbott said while addressing a crowd in San Antonio. “I didn’t invent the phrase ‘don’t mess with Texas’, but I have applied it more than anyone else has.”

In his speech opening up to the announcement, Abbott commented that he has lived all over Texas.

“I have literally lived and breathed the soil and the soul of what makes Texas unique," Abbott said.

Texas Gov. Rick Perry announced last week he would not be running for reelection in 2014.

Follow Bobby Blanchard on Twitter @bobbycblanchard.