UT receives high international rankings and "best buy" in education

UT has been ranked one of the world’s top universities this week, and a “best buy” in higher education, by two organizations that track university data world wide. 

The Center for World University Rankings, based out of Jeddah, Saudi Arabia, has ranked UT 26th among 100 universities across the globe. The University was also ranked 20th on its patent output and 24th in quality of faculty. UT ranked 56th on the employment of its graduates and 84th on its influence relative to other colleges.

The list puts UT in seventh place among U.S. public universities mentioned in the rankings. Other Texas universities mentioned in the study, but ranked below UT, were University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center in Dallas, Texas A&M University-College Station and Rice University in Houston.

The second accolade, finding UT was one of the “Best Buys in Higher Education”, was located in the Fiske Guide to Colleges. The guide is complied by a former education editor of the New York Times every year, and does not rank colleges once they are selected for a title.

The “best buy” ranking was found by judging the relative quality of faculty and resources at UT with the cost of attending the University. In-state students, which make up about 90 percent of the UT student body, currently pay about $4,900 a semester for tution. Non-residents pay close to $16,000 a semester. 

The University announced this spring it would be restructuring its non-academic functions, and UT officials say this move will help keep tution costs low for students. However, some staff and faculty argue that the current restructuring will result in lost job opportunities and raise costs for students in the long run.