Rick Perry announces he will not run for governor in 2014

In San Antonio on Monday afternoon, Texas Gov. Rick Perry announced he will not be running for governor in 2014.

Perry, who has held the Texas governorship longer than anyone else, made the long-awaited announcement on his political future to friends, family and members of the media. His announcement means current Texas Attorney General Greg Abbott will likely run for the position. Several media outlets have reported sources with information that Abbott is planning on running.

"I remain excited about the future and the challenges ahead, but the time has come to pass on the mantle of leadership," Perry said.

Abbott is expected at an anti-abortion rally tonight at the Texas Capitol. Shortly after Perry's announcement, Abbott sent a Twitter message, thanking Perry for his work.

With 18 months left in his governorship, Perry said he will focus on jobs and improving the Texas economy. The governor did not allude or mention a possible 2016 Presidential run, but he did say the next 18 months would determine his future.

During his speech before the announcement, Perry spoke of his accomplishments throughout the years. He referenced job creation, Texas’s economy and the recent water legislation that passed in the Texas legislature. Perry also spoke about Texas’s higher education.

“We’ve also invested in groundbreaking research at our universities and championed reform,” Perry said.

Earlier in June, Perry line-item vetoed legislation that would have given more than one million dollars to UT’s Center for Mexican American Studies.

Follow Bobby Blanchard on Twitter @bobbycblanchard.