Austin police have no new information regarding West Campus sexual assault

Officials at the Austin Police Department said the department has not received any new information regarding the kidnapping and sexual assault of a UT student in the West Campus area early Monday morning.

According to an APD press release on Tuesday, the female was approached from behind by at least two unidentified males who forced her to the ground, blindfolded her, placed her in a vehicle and sexually assaulted her. The victim was taken to an unknown location and was released at approximately 6 a.m. near the 2200 block of Stephen F. Austin Blvd. On Tuesday, UT-Austin sent out a safety alert email, confirming the victim was a UT student.

At approximately 3 p.m. July 2, a campus-wide safety alert stating that the University would receive media attention for the incident was mistakenly sent out. According to UTPD spokesperson Cynthia Posey, that message was meant for campus leadership.

Our intent was to send two messages: One to leadership only, and one to the campus,” Posey said in an email. “The message intended for leadership, because of an email system error, was sent to the entire campus (including leadership).”

Posey said the message intended for the campus community was sent and delivered to the intended audience as planned. 

APD detectives are seeking public assistance in identifying the as yet unknown suspects who assaulted a UT student near the 900 block of West 26th street.

Senior officer Jermaine Kilgore, an APD public information officer, said he cannot remember the last time a similar incident occurred in the West Campus area.

“I don't know the exact number,” Kilgore said about sexual crimes in the area. “There hasn't been many. [Monday's] sexual assault is definitely an isolated incident.”

Anyone with more information about the incident is asked to call the APD Sex Crimes Unit at (512)-974-5095 or Crime Stoppers at (512)-472-TIPS. The public can also text information by typing “Tips 103” before their message and sending it to C R I M E S.