The Morning Texan: Temperatures drop as the Texas Legislature heats up

According to the National Weather Service, Tuesday’s high will only be 92 degrees. The day is expected to be mostly sunny.

The first committee hearings on legislation for the second special session in the Texas Legislature will start today. Hearings are one of the first steps a bill must pass through in order to become law.

At 9 a.m., the Senate Finance Committee will have a hearing on a joint resolution related to transportation funding. At 9:30 a.m., the Senate Criminal Justice Committee will have a hearing on a bill related to juvenile sentencing. At 3:30 p.m., the House State Affairs Committee will have a hearing on a bill relating to abortion. A Facebook event already has more than 1,000 RSVPs.

For a glossary of terms you need to know to survive the second special session, click here.

For a list of lawmakers and activists you need to be aware of to follow the second special session, click here.

The North Door is hosting a panel on the Texas Legislature at 6:00 p.m. that includes reporters from The Texas Tribune, the Austin Chronicle and Texas Monthly. Check the event out here.

Here is some morning reading:

Yesterday’s most read story online: All sides are gearing up for round two of the abortion debate in Texas  check out our preview that ran in the paper on Monday.

In case you missed it: The City of Austin is being broken up into 10 voting districts in the next city council election, and a UT student is helping to draw the lines.

What you have to read: Student loan interest rates doubled Monday as a result of an impasse in Washington. College students are now waiting for action on the rates when Congress returns from its July 4 holiday.