Texas voters aware of SB 5 were opposed to it, new study says

A plurality of Texas voters aware of SB 5 were opposed to it, according to a Public Policy Polling telephone study conducted last weekend.

SB 5, brought forward in the first special session, would have imposed stricter state regulations on abortion. About 28 percent of voters opposed SB 5 while 20 percent supported it, and 52 percent of the 500 Texas voters surveyed by the study were not aware of the bill.

Two similar bills are currently waiting to go before the Texas Legislature in the second special session called by Gov. Rick Perry. Conservative lawmakers have also tacked on a third new bill that would limit access to abortion-inducing medications.

Pollsters from the firm, which usually caters to Democratic clients, also found state Sen. Wendy Davis, D-Fort Worth, has become one of the most recognizable names in the state and a better liked public figure than Perry and state Attorney General Greg Abbot.

Davis’ in-state recognition rate doubled from 34 percent in January to 68 percent this week, according to the firm. Davis approval-disapproval rating now stands at 39-29, higher than Perry’s 45-50 current rating and Abbot’s 32-26 approval-disapproval rating.

Abbot, who is widely speculated to be a potential contender in the 2014 gubernatorial elections, would still defeat Davis in a race for the governor’s seat by a margin of 48 percent to 40 percent, according to the poll. Perry also trumped Davis in the 2014 election by a margin of 53 percent to 39 percent.

The poll was conducted from June 28 to July 1 and used an automated message. The margin of error in the study was +/- 4.4 percentage points.