Second Special Session Day 1: Committee hearings scheduled

The second special session started off on Monday relatively calm compared to the exciting end of the first special session.

Both the Senate and the House briefly convened to refer bills to committee. In the Senate, Lt. Gov. David Dewhurst said the Senate would not be following the two-thirds rule or have any blocker bills during the second special session.

Dewhurst also said additional Department of Public Safety officers would be in the Senate’s gallery during the second special session, and he was prepared to clear the gallery if he needed to.

In the Senate, a joint resolution on transportation funding was referred to the Finance Committee and a hearing for this resolution was scheduled for Tuesday at 9 a.m. A senate bill on juvenile sentencing for 17-year-olds was referred to the criminal justice committee, and a hearing was scheduled for Tuesday at 9:30 a.m.

A House abortion bill filed by Rep. Jodie Laubenberg, R-Parker, was referred to the House’s state affairs committee.  A hearing is scheduled for Tuesday at 3:30 p.m. A Facebook event for this hearing already has more than 500 RSVPs. This bill is very similar, if not identical, to the abortion bill that failed to pass in the first special session. The Senate’s version of this bill has been referred to the health and human services committee.

These bills would ban abortion after 20 weeks, place additional restrictions on abortion clinics and provide further regulation of abortion-inducing drugs.

A senate bill by Sen. Dan Patrick, R-Houston, that would provide further regulation of abortion-inducing drugs, has not yet been referred to a committee.

After referring bills to committees and scheduling hearings, both the Senate and the House adjourned till Tuesday, July 9, at 9 a.m.

Before the House and Senate convened, there was a rally on the South steps of the Capitol.

For a glossary of terms you need to know to survive the second special session, click here.

For a list of lawmakers and activists you need to be aware of to follow the second special session, click here.