First abortion bill of second special session filed by Dan Patrick

Update: A second bill on abortion has been filed in the second special session. 

HB 2, filed by Rep. Jodie Laubenberg, R-Parker, is the second bill. The text is not online yet, but the caption says "Relating to the regulation of abortion procedures, providers, and facilities; providing penalties."

Original Story:

The first abortion bill of the second special session has been filed by Sen. Dan Patrick, R-Houston.

The bill, SB9, is "relating to distributing or prescribing abortion-inducing drugs." The text for the bill is not online yet. As of 11:42 a.m. on Friday, SB9 is the only abortion-related bill filed.

Patrick is the same senator who declared on Thursday he would be running for the lieutenant governor position. In a press release following the announcement, Patrick said the senate needed leadership that was "unapologetically conservative." Current Lt. Governor David Dewhurst, who is the leadership in the Texas Senate, has been criticized by several Texas Republicans for the way he handeled the filibuster of the first special session's abortion legislation.

Abortion legislation failed to pass in the first special session because of a filibuster by Sen. Wendy Davis, D-Fort Worth. On Wednesday, Texas Gov. Rick Perry announed he was calling a second special session on abortion, transportation funding and juvenile sentencing. Transportation funding and juvenile sentencing were also on the call for the first special session, but failed to pass.

The governor is the only one who can call a special session, and he is the only one who can tell the legislative bodies what they may consider during the special session.

Follow Bobby Blanchard on Twitter @bobbycblanchard.