Texas Republicans gunning for David Dewhurst's job

Since the chaotic end to the Texas Legislature’s first special session Tuesday, Lt. Governor David Dewhurst has gained opponents for the 2014 election for his position.

Texas Senator Dan Patrick, Houston-R announced Thursday he will run for lieutenant governor because the Senate is in need of leadership that is “unapologetically conservative.” While making the announcement, Patrick criticized Dewhurst's leadership abilities during the filibuster Tuesday night.

Patrick said although the position is said to be the most powerful in the state and Republicans have held it for more than a decade, little has been done to further conservative initiatives including border security, debt and property tax relief. 

Patrick supported the 2011 sonogram bill requiring Texas women to have an ultrasound and known details of a fetus at least 24-hour prior to an abortion.

The special session ended after an 11-hour filibuster to block abortion legislation by Texas Senator Wendy Davis, Fort Worth-D. Debate about proper procedure and handling of the filibuster lasted until nearly midnight, when the Senate gallery’s cheering crowd overwhelmed the room and halted action on the floor.

A vote on the bill was taken minutes after midnight, when the special session finished, with more than 100,000 online viewers watching. The vote prompted senators and reporters to document the vote’s listed date as June 26, before it was altered online and in print copies to June 25.

Patrick joins two others who previously announced their run against Dewhurst  —Agricultural Commissioner Todd Staples and Land Commissioner Jerry Patterson.

Follow Christine Ayala on Twitter @christine_ayala.