Perry calls special session to begin July 1, includes abortion legislation

Texas Gov. Rick Perry has called a second special session to begin on July 1.

The special session will include all "unfinished business" from first session, which includes abortion, transportation funding and juvenile sentencing.

Here is the full statement from Perry:

"I am calling the Legislature back into session because too much important work remains undone for the people of Texas. Through their duly elected representatives, the citizens of our state have made crystal clear their priorities for our great state. Texans value life and want to protect women and the unborn. Texans want a transportation system that keeps them moving. Texans want a court system that is fair and just. We will not allow the breakdown of decorum and decency to prevent us from doing what the people of this state hired us to do. "

Abortion legislation was defeated by filibustering efforts in the final hours Tuesday night.

Perry is the only one who can call a special session. He is also the only one who can place items on the special session's agenda.

Shortly after Perry announced the special session, Lt. Governor David Dewhurst released his own statement.

"Texas is unlike any other state because our leaders are willing to stand up in the face of pressure from Washington and special interest groups in the pursuit of freedom," Dewhurst said.