Confusion lingers following final moments of special session

Citizens at the Texas Capitol watch their computers to try and figure out the fate of abortion legislation, SB 5.

In the final moments of the special session, it is not clear yet if the Senate passed the abortion legislation.

The Texas Senate had several motions to vote on in the final moments of the first special session. However, in the last ten minutes, the gallery of the Senate Chamber began to scream and chant, creating confusion in the chamber. It became too loud to hear. Roll calls were made in the last minutes. One of the roll calls was still ongoing after midnight, which was when the special session ended and the abortion legislation was supposed to die.

The Associated Press tweeted that the abortion legislation passed.

Pedro Villalobos, a recent UT alum, witnessed the entire filibuster and Senate debate on Senate Bill 5. He got at the Captiol at 9 a.m. Tuesday morning, and was still in the gallery at midnight. He said he would be surprised if it comes out that Senate Bill 5 passed.

"My understanding is no legislation was passed," Villalobos said. "I am not worried about it being passed…I am pretty sure it would be challenged in court."

Villalobos said that in the final moments of the special session, lawmakers were rushing up to the podium, holding up one finger for an 'aye' vote, and two fingers for a 'nay' vote.

Follow The Daily Texan on Twitter @thedailytexan for the latest updates.