House to begin investigation into UT Regent Wallace Hall

Updated at 3:43 p.m.

In an interview with The Daily Texan, Representative Carol Alvarado, D-Houston, said she did not have a timeline for when the investigation into UT System Regent Wallace Hall will be complete.

"This is something new to the committee," Alvarado said. "There is no set time frame at this point. I anticipate that as we get further into the investigation, that we will have a better idea."

If the committee completes its investigation and feels Hall should be impeached, they will propose an article of impeachment. The Senate would then vote on the impechment.

Alvarado said she did not have a comment on Hall's actions, or if she thought he might have been engaging in practices that harm the UT System or the state of Texas.

"I am not prepared to say at this point. I am going to wait till we start the hearings," Alvarado said. "We are looking forward to having a full and fair investigation."

Original story:

The House Select Committee on Transparency in State Agency Operations had a preliminary meeting today to begin an investigation into UT System Regent Wallace Hall, which could ultimately lead to his impeachment.

According to a press release from Dan Flynn's office, House Speaker Joe Straus expanded the committee's jursidiction this morning to include regents. If Wallace Hall is impeached, he will be the first impeached Texas regent in history.

"These impeachment proceedings will be both thorough and impartial, and we intend to use all necessary resources and powers at the Committee's disposal to ensure an effective investigation," said Carol Alvarado, D-Houston, who co-charies the transparency committee. "I am confident the Committee will bring new, nonpartisan insights on what has been a contentious series of events."

More details coming soon.