Student leaders support University stance, wait for Fifth Circuit ruling

After UT President William Powers Jr. responded to the Supreme Court of the United States ruling in Fisher v. Texas, student leaders remain in support of the University and current holistic review admissions.

Powers said the ruling, as it stands, will not impact the class of 2013 or 2014 admissions process.

David Sanchez, Community Development co-director for Multicultural Engagement Center, said the ruling caused a lot of confusion.

“When the decision came out there was a lot of confusion as to what happened or what decision the court made,” Sanchez said. “As a minority, I see affirmative action as a good thing and they’re sticking with the admissions process.”

Andrew Clark, Senate of College Council president, said although Senate did not pass official legislation, many students support the University’s race-conscious admission process.

“We’re still viewing this as a positive and we’ll continue to try and promote diversity regardless of what the fifth circuit might say and what will happen down the road,” Clark said.

Ugeo Williams, Student Government vice president, said he and Horacio Villarreal, SG president, plan to address the student body in a campus wide email on the topic and to promote students to back the University’s policy.

“We’re all still reviewing the case because its important not only at the administrative level but students also need to know what this means,” Williams said. “There is more energy to bring forth to continue to rally in support.”

Sanchez said most students are not currently informed about the case or its potential impact on student diversity.

“I wanted to stay informed and stay up with the case,” Sanchez said. “There are people asking what students think about the case and nobody seems to now about it although it’s an issue that effects everyone. A lot of people at the University have the mentality that if it doesn’t effect them it doesn’t matter, but in reality it effects the reputation of the University.”

Follow Christine Ayala on Twitter @christine_ayala.