Pitts files impeachment resolution on regent Wallace Hall

Update: The resolution on the possible impeachment of Wallace Hall is now available online.

The resolution says that Hall "may have obtained that office through misrepresentation of material facts regarding his experience and qualifications in a manner that violates the penal laws of this state, including Section 37.10, Penal Code, and casts doubt on his fitness to hold public office and ability to carry out the responsibilities of that office with the integrity expected of a person holding a position of public trust in this state."

If the resolution passes, a special impeachment committee will be formed. The committee will then determine to file impeachment articles against Hall. The articles of impeachment will then go to the House, before being considered in the Senate. Hall could be limited in his abilities to serve as a regent once impeachment proceedings are underway.

Original story:

State Rep. Jim Pitts, R-Waxahachie, has filed a resolution to begin the impeachment process on UT System Regent Wallace Hall Jr.

The resolution's text is not online yet, but the bill's caption says the impeachment is "for certain misconduct."

The resolution comes after months of conflict between the UT System and the Texas Legislature. The Legislature made several attempts to limit the powers of the UT System Board of Regents and other higher education boards across Texas. Some of them, including SB15, failed. Others, such as several amendments to the State's budget bill, did pass successfully.

Hall has filed many open records requests against UT-Austin, and Pitts has, in return, accused Hall and other regents for engaging in a "witch hunt" against UT President William Powers Jr.