5 quotes you got to see from the Supreme Court's ruling on Fisher v. Texas

Earlier today, the Supreme Court issued a ruling on Fisher v. University of Texas. In a 7-1 decision, the court is requiring the Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals to reexamine its previous ruling on UT's admissions process. UT President William Powers Jr. said the ruling encouraged the University, and others say the ruling is a victory for supporters of affirmative action.

Here are five quotes you have to see from the justices:

1. "Located in Austin, Texas, one the most renowned campus of the Texas state university system, the University is one of the leading institutions of higher education in the Nation. Admissions is prized and competitive." — Justice Anthony Kennedy, who wrote the majority opinion.

2. "Once the University has established that its goal of diversity is consistent with strict scrutiny, however, there must still be a further judicial determination that the admissions process meets strict scrutiny in its implementation. The University must prove that the means chosen by the University to attain diversity are narrowly tailored to that goal." — Kennedy.

3. "Unfortunately for the University, the educational benefits flowing from student body diversity — assuming they exist — hardly qualify as a compelling state interest." — Justice Clarence Thomas, who wrote a concurring opinion with the majority.

4. "The petitioner in this case did not ask us to overrule Grutter's holding that a "compelling interest" in the educational benefits of diversity can justify racial preferences in university admissions...I therefore join the Court's opinion in full." — Justice Antonin Scalia, who wrote a concurring opinion with the majority.

5. "Petitioner urges that Texas Top Ten Percent Law and race-blind holistic review of each application achieve significant diversity, so the University must be content with those alternatives. I have said before and reiterate here that only an ostrich could regard the supposedly neutral alternatives as race unconscious." — Justice Ruth Ginsburg, who wrote the dissenting opinion on the case.

Related Content:

Supreme Court sends Fisher v. Texas case back to lower court" 

"TIMELINE: Affirmative action in United States through the years" 

"TIMELINE: History of Fisher v. Texas case" 

"UT student body President Horacio Villarreal comments on Fisher ruling" 

"5 quotes you got to see from the Supreme Court's ruling on Fisher v. Texas" 

"Abigail Fisher, Edward Blum says Fisher v. Texas court decision is a 'win'"