Rick Perry vetoes regent bill

Texas Gov. Rick Perry addresses the media at Thomas Jefferson High School in Dallas.

(Updated at 8:03 p.m.)

Texas Gov. Rick Perry has vetoed a bill from the senate that would weaken the powers of boards of regents across the state.

The bill, which is written to limit what regents can do to the responsibilties they are specifically given by the law, was filed by Kel Seliger and nine co-authors. Though the bill would have impacted higher education boards across the state, it was filed specifically in response to accusations from legislators that the UT System Board of Regents were "micromanaging" UT President William Powers Jr. and UT-Austin.

"Limiting oversight authority of a board of regents, however, is a step in the wrong direction," Perry said in a statement. "History has taught us that the lack of board oversight in both the corporate and university settings diminishes accountability and provides fertile ground for organizational malfeasance."

In a statement, Sen. Kel Selgier, R-Amarillo, said the veto would cause further strife and conflict.

“The decision to veto SB 15 ensures that the conflicts, controversies, and lack of transparency will continue," Seliger said.  "It harms the reputation of Texas' world class public universities and hinders their ability to attract the best students, faculty, and administrators to this great state. "