The Morning Texan: Evening rain, orientation, fire at mosque and more

It’s going to be a beautiful, albeit hot, afternoon, but there is a chance of rain in the evening. According to the National Weather Service, today’s high is 92 degrees and there is a 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms this evening.

Today is the first day of classes for students registered for the first summer session, the nine-week session or the whole session.

Here is some morning reading:

Yesterday’s most read story online: The Daily Texan is live-blogging UT’s first orientation session. Every year, approximately a thousand students visit campus per orientation session to learn about the campus, college life and, most importantly, registering for classes. Wednesday was the first day of coverage, and the Texan will continue coverage on Thursday.

In case you missed it: Higher education stakeholders and UT System officials are concerned with the decreasing federal and state support for research at universities. At a conference in Dallas on Tuesday, speakers discussed how they could revitalize research in the United States.

What you have to read: Police in London are investigating a fire at a mosque that might have been set intentionally. UT students studying abroad are staying just a mile away from the mosque. A student in the program told the Texan everyone is safe.