Five "green" things UT is doing to achieve sustainability

Earlier this year, the Princeton Review ranked UT-Austin as one of 322 “green colleges” in the United States and Canada. The list was produced through a partnership with the U.S. Green Building Council. In order to make the list, schools had to show a commitment to sustainability on campus.

Here are five things The Daily Texan has reported UT doing to achieve sustainability on campus:

1). Decrease irrigation water-use: Last year, the University installed a new irrigation system that is saving the University millions of gallons of water. By measuring rain water, evapotranspiration and broken sprinkles, UT has cut back its irrigation water use by 66 percent.

2). Reclaimed water system: In March, the City of Austin installed its purple pipes on campus. Purple pipes carry reclaimed water, and are being used at a UT chilling station.

3). Single stream recycling: The University has made recycling quick and easy. Previously, students living in residence halls had two recycling bins for different kinds of recyclables. In Fall 2012, UT installed single stream recycling on campus.

4). Rock gardens: Throughout campus, UT has replaced a few traditional gardens and grass plots with “rock gardens.” These gardens are still green, but they have more drought-tolerant plants that need less water.

5). Turning off the fountains: During times of low rainfall, UT has been known to turn off many of its water fountains on campus.

Click here for a complete list of universities that make Princeton Review's list of green schools.