The Morning Texan: Graduation, commencement caps and more

Saturday’s temperature could get all the way up to 94 degrees — so if you’re going to be walking around in a heavy set of robes, be sure to bring a water bottle or two. It is also expected to be a gusty day, according to the National Weather Service, so be sure to hold on tight to those decorative commencement caps.

What is happening today: If you don’t need to be on campus today, then don’t be on campus. The second day of graduation is taking place, so UT will be packed. Some people said they spent 45 minutes yesterday waiting outside of the Frank Erwin Center for their ride to pick them up. There is also going to be some road closures happening as a result of commencement. They are listed below:

-     21st Street will be closed from Whitis Avenue to Speedway from 5 p.m. to midnight.

-     University Avenue will be closed from 21st Street to 20th Street from 7 a.m. to midnight

-     20th Street will be closed from University Avenue till the end of the street from 7 a.m. to midnight.

Yesterday’s most read story online: The Daily Texan is spending 13 hours with the Class of 2013. Check out the first day and the first nine hours of coverage.

What you have to read: The Daily Texan has put together a short, handy guide to survive graduation. Here is everything you need to know to get through graduation.

In case you missed it: Graduation isn’t just serious business — it is also a lot of fun. Check out this ten decorated commencement caps, and share with us your awesome cap on twitter. Do you think you can beat a Harry Potter-themed cap? What about a cap with a boat on it? Yeah, didn’t think so.