Listen: the UT graduation music playlist

Graduating seniors at the Liberal Arts Convocation at the Frank Erwin Center.

A Texas graduation is one of the only times of year where hoards of people endure long traffic lines and the scalding Texas heat a with smile on their faces.

So, to bring you relief in the traffic and sun, we bring you The Daily Texan's Class of 2013 graduation playlist. We were inspired by our friends at The Texas Tribune, especially Tribune reporter Reeve Hamilton, who release playlists based on the news of the week. About 8,300 UT students graduated this weekend. The Texan covered the ceremonies from 9 a.m. Friday until late Saturday afternoon and our coverage inspired some of these selections.

General themes of growing up, being awesome, happiness and sorrow inspired the rest of these selections.

Some students decided to dance across the stage as they got their diplomas Friday and Saturday. One phrase the song repeats is "I don't care, I love it," over and over again. These ballsy students inspired our first selection, Icona Pop's "I Love It (feat. Charli XCX)."

In our story, "13 hours with the Class of 2013," we ended up at Cain and Abel's on 24th Street. It wasn't that busy, but the staff assured us they were expecting it to be packed after UT's main graduation ceremony. This inspired "I Gotta Feeling" by the Black Eyed Peas. We hope all UT graduates and their loved ones have a good night.

Which is why we also included Macklemore’s “And We Danced” and P!nk’s “Raise Your Glass.” We hopes these songs will inspire you to enjoy yourself tonight in your celebrations.

State Rep. Trey Martinez Fischer, D-San Antonio, gave the commencement speech for graduates from the Center for Mexican American Studies this morning and inspired our next choice, "We Got The World" by Icona Pop. Martinez Fischer urged UT's Hispanic graduates to recognize Hispanics are 38 percent of the Texas population and encouraged them to make their voices heard.

Texas Senator Kel Seliger, R-Amarillo, inspired our next choice, "Carry On," by Fun. Seliger delivered what he called the college edition of the Ten Commandments during his commencement address Friday. In one commandment, Seliger said the end of the world was not armageddon, but finals.

Government senior Tiffany Williams will be attending the Cornell University Law School in New York in the fall and had a few choice words for her fellow seniors Friday: "We did it, so go apply it." We chose "Defying Gravity" by the 2003 Wicked Broadway Cast in her honor.

During her commencement speech Friday,  Vice Provost and Dean of the School of Graduate Studies Judith Langlois said whenever graduates make mistakes, someone would conveniently remind them of their doctorate degree. So, we added "New Soul" by Yael Naim to the playlist. It's a scary world out there, after all.

Matthew Haynes, a senior academic advisor for the college, called the Class of 2013 “the independent class.” So, we chose the very sappy “Unwritten” by Natasha Bedingfield. 

And finally, we included Taylor’s Swift’s “22”, because many of you are 22. Feel free to sing-along to this song while dancing in your bedroom, with a comb as a mic, while forgetting about all the deadlines. It’s the best (and maybe only?) way to do it after all.