The Morning Texan: 10-1, Glenn Frankel, graduation and more

With yesterday’s rain gone, the temperature is on the rise today. According to the National Weather Service, today’s high is 90 degrees. The temperature is expected to keep rising as the weekend approaches.

Undergraduates who are registered to take classes this summer have to pay their tuition by 5 p.m. tonight.

Here is some morning reading:

What is happening today: Later today, we’ll find out if a UT student has an opportunity to help draw Austin’s new district lines for the next city council elections. The City of Austin’s 10-1 applicant review panel will release a list of 60 names to the City Council later today for consideration for the 14-member Citizens Redistricting Committee. The committee will be responsible for drawing Austin’s 10 new districts for the 2014 city elections. One commissioner position will belong to a student at any Austin college.

For previous Texan coverage of the 10-1 plan, check out this article.

Yesterday’s most read story online (for the second day in a row): The Texan conducted a Q&A with Katherine Noble, the first undergraduate to be awarded the $50,000 Keene Prize for Literature. In her interview, Noble gives insight into her creative process, talks about where she is going next and lists some of her favorite poets.

In case you missed it: Are you graduating? The Daily Texan wants to share your story. Send us your stories and photos at, or tweet us @thedailytexan. Let’s get #UTgrad trending in Austin.

What you have to read: Glenn Frankel, the director of the School of the Journalism, has announced he will be leaving UT after the next academic school year. The Texan spoke to Frankel about his accomplishments as director, and about what the school needs going forward.

What we missed, but you should still read: (“At least 6 killed, dozens hurt in Granbury tornado as twisters hit North Texas” on A powerful storm system traveled through North Texas Wednesday night, resulting in several tornadoes and at least six dead. Fourteen people are still missing.