The Morning Texan: Rain, a $50,000 prize, doodles and more

Heads up Longhorns, or maybe heads down, because it is going to rain today, according to the National Weather Service. There is a 60 percent chance of rain, with thunderstorms likely. The rain is bringing today’s temperature down to a high of only 81 °F, which is almost like winter again.

Students living on campus who are not graduating have to check out by 9:00 a.m. this morning. And undergraduates who are registered to take classes this summer have to pay their tuition by 5:00 p.m. on Thursday.

Here is some morning reading:

(Update at 8:16 a.m.) What is was happening today: Richard Cherwitz, a UT communication studies professor, was scheduled to appear in court today on charges of failure to stop and render aid. The hearing has been moved to June 24. 

Yesterday’s Most Read Story Online: The Texan conducted a Q&A with Katherine Noble, the first undergraduate to be awarded the $50,000 Keene Prize for Literature. In her interview, Noble gives insight into her creative process, talks about where she is going next and lists some of her favorite poets.

In Case You Missed It: At the end of every semester, the UT Libraries uploads photos of doodles from the Perry-Castañeda Library’s whiteboards to its Flickr account. Some are funny, some are snarky and some are even inspirational.

What you have to read: Yesterday, the Texas House passed a bill that would limit the powers and responsibilities of the UT System Board of Regents and other higher education governing boards. Both Texas legislative bodies have now passed the bill, the Senate 29-2 and the House 134-11. The bill now heads to the governor’s desk.

What we missed, but you should still read: (“UT regent grilled on Perry emails” on mystatesman.com): At a Texas House panel on transparency, legislatures asked Regent Brenda Pejovich about email exchanges between Texas Gov. Rick Perry and the board. The emails show that Perry has been more involved with some of the recent UT System Board of Regents controversies than previously thought. In one email, Perry said “I know you all get tired of being hammered by the charlatans and peacocks, but the fight is being won.” Pejovich declined to comment on what “the fight” could be referring to or who “the charlatans and peacocks” might be.

(“Campus Carry Bill Passes Senate Committee” on texastribune.org): The Senate’s Criminal Justice Committee has passed a bill that would allow concealed handgun license holders to carry firearms on college campuses in Texas. The bill now heads to the Senate. It has already passed in the House.

Update: This blog post has been updated to show that Richard Cherwitz's hearing has been moved to June 24.