Building plans for UT Dell Medical School approved by Board of Regents

Plans for the UT medical school were unanimously approved by the UT Board of Regents at a meeting Thursday morning. 

Priced at $334.5 million, the plans build a hospital at the corner of Red River and 15th Street, on campus. The plan also realigns Red River Street to accommodate for other buildings, including a research building and a medical office building.

"This project brings together the best in academics and community recourses," board of regents chairman Gene Powell said. "It will be the first four-year medical school on a UT campus ever. Its location is by designed. It will be part of the academic campus and also part of the community."

To make room for the new buildings, the University will remove the tennis courts and centennial park. Plans for the future of the area around the medical school also mention possibly removing the Frank Erwin Center, although President William Powers Jr. said funding and approval for such a project have not been granted.

"At some point in the future, we want to have the capacity for growth of this medical complex," Powers said. "And if that growth takes place, having the Erwin Center in the middle of it does not make sense."

Powers stressed that moving the Erwin Center will not happen immediately, if it happens at all.