Nash Horne, UT communication studies junior, appointed as UT System Student Regent

Gov. Rick Perry appointed Nash Horne to the UT System Board of Regents to serve as the student regent for the upcoming academic year.

Horne is a communication studies junior at UT and a University-wide Student Government representative.

“I’m cast with a huge responsibility of bringing student voice to Board of Regents over the next year and I am excited to hear from all the institution within the system about what the students issues are,” Horne said. “In my years in Student Government, I’ve had a passion to represent students. That’s kind of what I’ve dedicated my college career to doing and this is an opportunity to do it on a much larger scale.”

Horne said he will not have concrete goals for his term until he fully understands the position. Beside his involvement is Student Government, Horne is a member of Kappa Sigma Fraternity.

“I know that the board is very appreciative and eager to listen to the student voice on the board,” Horne said.

Board Chairman Gene Powell welcomed Horne to the board in a statement released Wednesday.

“The perspective and insight the student regent position offers plays a tremendous role in the board’s work and deliberations," Powell said in the statement. "Mr. Horne is an outstanding choice and will be a great asset to our board. We look forward to serving with him."

Horne's appointment is effective June 1 and lasts one year. The Texas Legislature created a student regent position for each university system's governing board in 2005 after students pushed for it for several decades. The student regent serves as the 10th member on the board but does not receive a vote nor does he or she count toward quorum. 

Horne will replace Ashley Purgason, a doctoral student at UT-Medical Branch at Galveston. Horne will be the third UT-Austin student to serve on the board.