UT senior Jordan Metoyer receives Truman Scholarship

Jordan Metoyer, an economics and urban studies senior, is one of 62 students nationwide to become a Truman Scholar, Wednesday.

The Harry S. Truman Scholarship Fund awards select college juniors up to $30,000 to support graduate study and leadership training as well as spur careers in government, the nonprofit sectors or education. More than 900 students applied and Metoyer was one of two finalists from UT. Metoyer is a third year student, but a senior by credit hours.

“Looking at my personal experiences, my academic interests and what I hope to accomplish, the Truman scholarship will give me the tools and a network that I need to ensure social mobility for everyone,” Metoyer said. “This is an incredible honor.”

Metoyer said she hopes to impact local politics and wants to study public policy at the graduate level.

“I’m going to look at the issues that are at the nexus of poverty, education and affordable housing,” Metoyer said. “Growing up I saw how low income families were disproportionately affected by predatory home loans and the financial crisis of 2008, including my family.”

The foundation was established by the U.S. Congress in 1975, in honor of the country’s thirty-third president. Since then, 2,906 scholars have been selected.

This article was corrected after its original posting. Metoyer is a third-year student but a senior by credit hours.