UPDATE: UT Austin Police, FBI to investigate credibility of non-specific bomb threat

UPDATE at 6:31 p.m. – University spokeswoman Cindy Posey said UTPD could not say how the bomb threat was recieved or how many additional police officers would be on campus. Posey did say UTPD is checking all the buildings, and that if anyone sees anything suspcisous they should report it to UTPD at 512-471-4771.

ORIGINAL STORY – UT Austin sent out an email late Wednesday afternoon alerting students to an increase police presence on campus for the next several days because of a non-specific bomb threat on campus. Campus will remain open. 

The email said UT Austin's police department will work with the FBI, the Joint Terrorism Task Force, the Department of Public Safety and the Austin Police Department to investigate the bomb threat. The email said the threat was made anoynmously and there is no information that indicidates the threat is credible at this time. 

"We take the safety of every member of this community very seriously and ask that each of you be vigilant in observing anything that looks unusual over the next few days," the email said.

Last fall, UT-Austin evacuated campus buildings on Sept. 14 because of a bomb threat. Campus leaders faced criticism for the lateness of the evacuation and the way it was handled. The caller of the Sept. 14 bomb threat said bombs would "blow up all over campus" around 10:05 a.m. UT sent out text messages and started evacuating buildings at 9:50.