• A weekend that brings in tens of thousands of people to Austin from the around the state saw a decrease in crime rates from previous years, police say.

UT hosted the 86th Clyde Littlefield Texas Relays from Wednesday to Saturday at Mike A. Myers Stadium. The annual track meet showcases the top track athletes from across the state from high school, junior college, college and professional levels. According to a spokeswoman for the Austin Visitor Center, the event brought 40,000 people to the city this year.

Police made a total of 22 arrests Friday and Saturday, a decrease from the 36 arrests made last year on the same days, Senior Police Officer Vaneza Bremner saidBremner said most of the arrests took place around downtown.

Bremner listed public intoxication, disorderly conduct, possession of marijuana and failure to obey lawful orders as the leading causes for arrests made throughout the weekend and in previous years. She also said one man was charged with interfering with a police animal.

Early Sunday morning, a man was shot and killed near 11th and Trinity streets. Police say the shooting occurred after an "altercation between two groups of people." Police have yet to release the victim's name and do not have detailed descriptions of the suspects. The victim was pronounced dead at University Medical Center Brackenridge, and the police will hold a press conference Monday evening. As of now, there has been no stated connection between the shooting and the weekend's festivities.