Regents will meet to discuss Law School Foundation, direct Powers not to delete emails

The UT System Board of Regents will hold a special meeting on Wednesday to discuss and possibly take action on issues regarding the relationship between the UT School of Law and the Law School foundation. The board will also discuss “the financial management and use” by UT of funds to support the law school and relevant legal issues after hearing a recommendation from the Audit, Compliance, and Management Review Committee. 

In December 2011, President William Powers Jr. asked Larry Sager, former dean of the School of Law, to step down from his position after an open records request from law school faculty revealed he obtained $500,000 in forgivable personal loans from the UT Law School Foundation. 

Barry Burgdorf, the UT System vice chancellor and general counsel who resigned earlier this month, authored the System’s report on the incident. The report found the lack of transparency in the forgivable personal loan program meant it “suffer[ed] infirmities that make it inappropriate for a public university in Texas.”

Last week, Pedro Reyes, executive vice chancellor for academic affairs, emailed Powers directing him not to delete emails of any time from electronic devices or computers in or accessed by the Office of the President over the course of the pending audit review of the Law School Foundation. The email also directed the offices of the provost, executive vice president for business affairs and vice president for legal affairs not to delete emails, and mentioned Sager, assistant dean Kimberly Biar, and Glenn Woelfel, senior financial analyst for the law school.

Powers’ spokesman Gary Susswein described this move as “unusual.”