Baseball manager of operations files memorandum notifying supervisors of relationship with UT student

Drew Bishop, manager of baseball operations and a former Longhorns pitcher, filed a memorandum Feb. 6 alerting Texas head coach Augie Garrido that he was dating a student employee in Intercollegiate Athletics.

"I do not have evaluative or supervisory oversight of her," Bishop, a 2008 graduate of UT, wrote to Garrido in a document obtained by The Daily Texan.

Bishop told Garrido he had reviewed the situation with Rich Burns, Athletics' assistant director for human resources, and it was determined there was no conflict of interest or any "other areas of concern under HOP 3-3050, Consensual Relationships."

Bishop's letter to Garrido came six days after The Daily Texan obtained correspondence between athletics director DeLoss Dodds and assistant football coach Major Applewhite regarding "inappropriate, consensual" relations with a student trainer during the week of the 2009 Fiesta Bowl. 

Also, three days prior to Bishop's letter, the UT System Board of Regents announced a task force to review policies regarding student-employee relationships.

In October, women's track and field coach Bev Kearney admitted to an "intimate consensual relationship" with a student-athlete that occurred 10 years ago. Kearney resigned in January after learning the University was ready to begin the termination process. 

According to a policy in the University’s Handbook of Operating Procedures, instituted by UT in 2001, all relationships must be disclosed to appropriate members of the University. 

“The University strongly discourages consensual relationships between supervisors and subordinates, teachers and students and advisers and students,” the policy states. A failure to report the relationship will result in “disciplinary action, up to and including termination.”