Sandra+Shank campaign will not be on the Student Government ballot

Sandra Ogenche and Justin Shank will no longer be on the Student Government executive alliance ballot.

Election Supervisory Board vice-chairman Ryan Lutz said Ogenche was notified of an ineligibility problem with her filing before the candidate seminar Jan. 12, though the board and the Dean of Students gave an extension to resolve the issue. Lutz said the board decided to remove their names from the ballot Tuesday, after the alliance failed to solve the problem during the extension period.

Ogenche is a government and pre-entry public health junior and Shank is a biology senior.

“There was evidence to suggest that it was an administrative error and that it would be corrected quickly,” Lutz said. “With that knowledge in mind, the ESB and [Dean of Students Soncia Reagins-Lilly] gave her almost a day-by-day extension for her to go ahead and straighten out any issues she had.”

Because the alliance's file was pending they were asked by the Dean of Students to stop campaigning Monday night.

“She was not considered a candidate at all during that time. She was in a pending status and therefore was not eligible to campaign,” Lutz said. “Unfortunately she has just run out of time, we have to release the ballot tomorrow and it just came down to not having all the ducks in a row.”

After a closed meeting Tuesday night, the board issued a resolution stating that the alliance had not met the requirements outlined in the Student Government Constitution to participate in the election. The resolution also states the issue involves information protected by the Family Educational Rights and Privacy, so the board could not disclose specific details.