Provost Steven Leslie to step down at the end of the summer

[Originally published Feb. 8 at 12 p.m.]

Steven Leslie, executive vice president and provost, will be stepping down from his post to return to teaching at the end of August, according to a blog post from President William Powers Jr.

“For the past six years, Provost Leslie has been an indispensable partner in transforming the academic life of The University of Texas,” Powers said in his blog. “He has guided our deans and vice provosts with a steady hand and a vision that encompasses all aspects of this vast university.”

Powers appointed Leslie in 2007, who was then serving as the dean of the College of Pharmacy. Leslie joined the University in 1974 as an assistant professor in the division of pharmacology and toxicology.

The provost is the top academic post at the University and reports directly to the president. All 18 college deans and more than a dozen other senior academic posts are all overseen by the provost.

Michael Morton, president of the Senate of College Councils, said Leslie has been an advocate for students.

“Throughout his tenure, Provost Leslie has been a strong supporter of students and has worked constantly to strengthen the university academically,” Morton said. “He’s been an absolute pleasure to work with, and I know he’ll continue to play an important role on campus.”