Mexican President to teach at Harvard

Mexican President Felipe Calderón will be joining Harvard University’s Kennedy School of Government, the school announced Wednesday.

The announcement comes after months of speculation that Calderón had been in talks with UT officials about a post-presidency teaching position. In August, the Dallas Morning News reported that Calderón and President William Powers Jr. had met twice to discuss the idea of teaching at UT.

Calderón’s six year term ends this week and he will step into his role at Harvard as the Inaugural Angelopoulos Global Public Leaders Fellow in spring 2013.

In a Harvard Kennedy School press release, Calderon said he looks forward to using the fellowship to examine his time in office and share his experiences with others at the school.

“This Fellowship will be a tremendous opportunity for me to reflect upon my six years in office, to connect with scholars and students at Harvard, and to begin work on the important papers that will document the many challenges that we faced, and the policy positions that we developed during my administration,”Calderón said.

Calderón received a Master’s degree in Public Administration from the Kennedy School in 2000.

In September, when Calderón was rumored to be a candidate for a teaching position at UT, students and community members interrupted a conference on campus voicing their opposition to the Mexican president.