UT curriculum rated 'B' in non-profit survey

UT and more than 1,000 other colleges and universities were graded on their required general education curriculum.

The American Council of Trustees and Alumni, a non-profit organization that supports Liberal Arts education, conducted the “What Will They Learn?” survey that looks at current course schedules to grade colleges and universities on seven key areas.

According to the survey degrees requiring classes in composition, literature, foreign language, U.S. government, economics, mathematics and science provide students an “A” quality education. The survey’s website states “students are graduating with great gaps in their knowledge,” which can hurt their employment opportunities.

UT’s curriculum received a “B” because it contained five out of the seven general education requirement considered necessary for life after graduation. The two missing are composition and foreign language. Students can test out of Rhetoric courses and not all degrees require foreign language credit. However, many Longhorns graduate equipped with both of these skill that the council says are important for entering the work force.

The survey allows prospective students to compare schools to see how their grades stack up against one another. Only 21 made the A-list, including the University of Texas at San Antonio.