Update 12:15 -- UT President William Powers Jr. at press conference: "There was always a question about the credibility of the threat," Powers said. "We could not assure ourselves this was not a credible threat, so we decided clearing all buildings was the prudent thing to do."
From UT Safety Alert email: "Classes are cancelled for the remainder of Friday, September 14, 2012. University buildings may be re-entered effective noon today. All University operations except for scheduled classes will resume at 5:00 pm this date."
UPDATE 11:50 -- UT has announced buildings may be reentered at noon. Classes are canceled for the day, but all other activities resume at 5 p.m.
UT Police are holding a press conference at noon.
UPDATE 10:55 — A UT text alert says all buildings are being checked and cleared. The 90 minute period specified in the threat has passed. They'll announce soon whether classes and daily operations will resume, according to the text.
UT sent out an emergency alert at 9:50 this morning urging all students, faculty and staff to "get as far away from campus as possible."
According to a statement, "At 8:35 a.m. the university received a call from a male with a middle eastern accent claiming to have placed bombs all over campus. He said he was with Al Qaeda and these bombs would go off in 90 minutes. President Powers was notified and it was decided to evacuate all of the buildings out of an abundance of caution."
UT officials and FBI personell are continuing to clear the buildings and have so far found no weapons. No one is being allowed back into the buildings. UT will continue to send out emergency alerts, though cell phone signal on many carriers is jammed. We'll post updates here as we have them.
-Additional reporting done by Audrey White