General Motors to bring 500 IT jobs to Austin

General Motors is opening an IT Innovation Center in Austin with plans to employ  500 people, the company announced Friday morning.

The Austin office will be the first of several new IT centers the company plans to open. According to a statement released by the company, it is hiring software developers, project managers, business analysts, and other IT specialists.

In the statement, GM Chief Information Officer, Randy Mott, said the high-caliber of IT and computer science education being conducted at Texas schools motivated the company to create the center in Austin.

“The next generation of IT workers, the talented visionaries we want contributing at the Innovation Center, are being trained at top computer science schools in Texas and surrounding states,” Mott said. “The IT Innovation Centers are critical to our overall IT business strategy and transformation.”

The Austin-American Statesman reported GM has already leased a building in Austin and will soon begin recruitment efforts from other companies and from specific colleges and universities in and around Texas.

Karen Landolt, Director of the Career Design Center within the College of Natural Sciences, said the announcement will be welcomed by students across the university and that UT’s strong academic credentials likely played a role in GM’s selecting Austin.

“There is a talent pool here at the University and there is an infrastructure in the community and around the city,” Landolt said.

The UT Department of Computer Science was recently ranked number 9 worldwide, according to the 2012 Academic Ranking of World Universities.