Supreme Court ruling pleases and displeases both parties

The Supreme Court issued three rulings yesterday, the most high profile of which was Arizona V. United States.

In a 5-3 decision, the Court struck down most of Arizona’s immigration law SB 1070, leaving intact the portion allowing law enforcement officials to check a person’s immigration status if he or she has been stopped for another reason.

The unconstitutional portions of the 2010 law included requiring legal immigrants to carry citizenship documents at all times, prohibiting illegal immigrants from searching for a job and allowing police to arrest suspected illegal immigrants.

Justice Kagan recused herself from the ruling because she was previously the Solicitor General arguing the government’s position in the case before she was appointed to the Court.

Although the ruling only directly affects Arizona and other states that have passed similar immigration laws, (Alabama, Georgia, Indiana, South Carolina and Utah) Texas politicians and advocacy groups were quick to add their two cents to the debate. The split is mostly divided along party lines - republicans think the ruling went too far, while democrats think it didn’t go far enough.

Texas Gov. Rick Perry released a statement saying the “ruling is one step forward and two steps back – simply not good enough. It is bad enough that the Obama administration picks and chooses which laws it wishes to enforce, but for the United States Supreme Court to deprive states of some of those powers... is insulting to the Constitution and our right to govern ourselves.”

U.S congressman Lloyd Doggett (D-TX) said the “remaining “show me your papers” rule is very troubling. Its implementation should be reevaluated because of racial profiling. Today’s decision only underlines the need for prompt, comprehensive immigration reform.”

However, there is one notable exception. Somos Republicans, self-described as the “largest Hispanic GOP grassroots organization,” came out strongly in favor of the ruling with this statement:

“We... have said from the very beginning that SB 1070 is both unconstitutional and not an effort at illegal immigration but actually an effort to violate the rights of all Latinos in order to drive them from America.”

The Supreme Court is scheduled to deliver this term’s most anticipated ruling Thursday, which will decide the fate of Obama’s most significant legislative initiative, the Affordable Care Act.