Taking to the field

Holy smoke! It's a new semester and the start of a new era here at The Daily Texan and Texas Student Media!

We have a new TSM Director, Gary Borders, and a new leadership team at the Texan -- Editor Viviana Aldous and Managing Editor Lena Price. We're expecting an exciting fall at the Texan as the Longhorn football team returns to the field and the campus continues to sort through the impact of budget cuts imposed by the 82nd Legislature.

You can count on the Texan for the best coverage of all the topics of interest to the larger UT community. If you're interested in becoming part of the Texan team, stop down in the basement of the Hearst building and fill out an application. We're having tryouts through Sept. 8.

You can count on the Talking Texan blog to keep you up to date on matters of interest to our organization's staffers and alums and people interested in media matters generally.

For example, did you note that the Austin American-Statesman is dropping commenting on the stories appearing on its website (but not blogs)? Check it out here.

Also of interest to media junkies everywhere is the announcement that Jim Romenesko is stepping into semi-retirement. Now what am I going to do with my spare time?

We'll also be keeping a close eye on the Longhorn Network as it debuts and the changing curriculum at the School of Journalism

Like I said, it should be an exciting semester!